From April 2013 to August 2015 I was communications manager at Hello Games, which was a role that kind of evolved as I went along, but it boiled down to: if it involved talking with the outside world, I’d have had a hand in it.
So I ran Hello’s social media accounts, wrote blog posts and other bits and pieces, managed its public email address, dealt with press and lined up interviews and meetings. I worked with Sony and Valve’s internal teams, and I also established and managed Hello Games’ presence on various store fronts including Steam and PlayStation Store, and many other bits and pieces.
Working at Hello Games was a remarkable experience. The team is a set of amazingly talented and fun people, all of whom are dear friends. We had some amazing adventures together.
I started out in spring 2013 working on the Joe Danger series, with updates to Joe Danger Touch and the PC version of Joe Danger. For Joe Danger 2’s release on PC I had the idea of adding Team Fortress characters, getting approval from Valve. I also helped launch Joe Danger Infinity, and ports on PS Vita and Android, as well as a Humble Bundle sale.
For No Man’s Sky, I arranged press for its first reveal at VGX in December 2013, and managed its presence at E3 2014 and 2015, where it got an amazing response. I also took it to PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas in December 2014, where I also helped organise a gig with 65daysofstatic.
Outside of those crazy times, I also designed and built the No Man’s Sky website, and arranged major press outings, including these personal highlights:
- New Yorker A full feature in the magazine by writer Raffi Khatchadourian, which was utterly remarkable to be involved with from start to finish
- IGN First IGN devoted the month of July 2015 to a set of features about the game
- Edge It featured on the cover of the September 2014 issue. A surreal experience, since I used to work there, but it all came from them, and NMS being totally an Edge game, I would’ve jumped to put No Man’s Sky on its cover
- Game Informer One of the biggest magazines in the world and I managed to get No Man’s Sky on its cover
- New Yorker Festival I left having lined it all up and started to get things rolling
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert I negotiated and signed up Sean’s appearance on the show
My final act at Hello Games was to publish a big post summing up what No Man’s Sky is about, which seemed a fitting swan song as I departed to pursue some new personal projects.